Friday, January 14, 2011

The Time I Caught Leprosy

I figure since Katie can talk about her pinkeye, I can talk about my leprosy. It's not really leprosy, but a rash caused by "probably a virus" according to Science. They aren't sure what causes it, how it spreads, or how to cure it. And it is not fun.

It started about 6 weeks ago when I noticed a small pink patch of dry skin on my thigh. I didn't think anything of it because it's winter and I usually get a dry patch or two somewhere on my body. But then two days later that spot quadrupled in size and multiplied to three spots. I did a quick google search before work and freaked out because I thought it was ring worm, although I don't know how I could have possibly caught that.

I made a same-day appointment with my dermatologist who took one look at it and knew exactly what it was. She said she had it last winter, and had already seen 5 or 6 cases this season already. It's called Pityriasis Rosea and can last up to three months. It is not contagious and doesn't spread like a typical virus. The only thing you can do is put steroid cream on it and let it run it's course, and it gets (much) worse before it gets better. Those three spots that I started out with quickly turned into about 3-400, and it's now on my abdomen, chest, neck, back, arms, wrists, and in some very unfortunate and uncomfortable places ifyouknowwhatimean. This is a pretty accurate picture of what I look like: NSFW, although only about 75% as bad.

I hadn't been using the steroid cream because of the side effects (don't want to mutate my ovaries!) but it was so painful and the itching kept me up for hours in the middle of the night so I finally gave in and slathered it on. It's been two days and the rash is so much better. It's faded a bit, but I can tell it's going to take a long time to go away. Good thing it isn't bathing suit season!

2 comments:

  1. It really makes me wonder what is under the band-aid on the girl in the pic. I mean, really, what's worse than the horrible rash!??!

    ReplyDelete