Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Flirty, Thirty, and Fabulous

I'm two weeks late on this post, but I'm 30 now! I have to document it!

The big three-oh-no!
My birthday was on a Sunday this year, which was nice because Scott was home. Amber came over in the early afternoon to take some pictures of Odin, then took me out to lunch while Scott watched the baby. We went to Flat Top, which is like Mongolian BBQ for you Michiganders. Not only was the food awesome, but we had some yummy cocktails, too. Afterwards we did some shopping at Target and then headed back to our place.

Cactus flower margarita? It was yummy whatever it was
This looks like a rum drink... Also super yummy

The second part of my birthday gift from Amber was she watched Odin while Scott took me out to dinner. She also watched him while we got ready to go. Amber freaking rocks!


New tights and shoes
Favorite dress







No smiling

We went to a super cute BYOB Mediterranean restaurant on Southport called Tango Sur. They of course played tango music, and it was dark with candlesticks on every small, closely-spaced table. It was intimate and romantic without being stuffy or pretentious. Scott did a great job picking out the place!


Fill 'er up!

Spinach mashed potatoes -yum!

After what seemed like hours, but was in reality only about fifty minutes, the conversation turned to Odin, and we started to wonder how he was doing. I texted Amber and she replied that he was great, and sent me a picture of him sleeping in his Boppy.


Nice work, Aunt Amber!

Our minds at ease, we decided it would be ok to go out for drinks after dinner. We went to a fancy bar in Wicker Park called the Violet Hour, and I was again thankful my birthday was on a Sunday because usually there is a three hour wait to get in. I had actually tried to get in a few times before but didn't want to wait, so my birthday was the first time I went inside. There was no line, and it was pretty dead inside. I had a fancy drink with vodka and champagne and Scott and I had a great time talking and reconnecting. It was really nice to have a conversation that lasted more than a couple of minutes.

On the way home, the wintry drizzle we were getting turned into a full-on downpour and thunderstorm! At the first bolt of lightening I thought maybe I was imagining things. A thunderstorm in January is craziness. Yay(?) global warming! We were glad to get back inside where it was dry and warm, and to snuggle with Odin. Although we were only gone 2.5-3 hours, we really missed that little guy.

Even though this was the first year I didn't have a birthday cake or pie, candles to blow out, or Happy Birthday sung to me, surprisingly I didn't mind. I had such a wonderful birthday and I can't wait to see what the next decade holds in store for me!

10 comments:

  1. So glad you had a fantastic birthday and got a chance to celebrate! Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It turned out to be exactly what I needed. Funny how things work out like that. :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a great birthday! I think my little Pickle baby needs an Aunt Amber. She sounds fabulous! You looked gorgeous in those pictures. Are you sure you just had that baby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Julie! Everyone needs an Amber in their life. She's been so awesome the entire time, from helping me make my registry, co-throwing my baby shower, taking maternity and newborn pics, and being so supportive. I don't know what I'd do without her.

      I can't wait for your pickle to arrive! Most awaited baby of the decade! And breastfeeding is nature's miracle, for sure! ;) I'm so surprised at how easily things have gone back to normal. The boobs are wrecked forever, but you can't win every battle, right? ;)

      Delete
  3. You are fabulous. I am glad you had an awesome birthday celebration. You are truly blessed with a beautiful family and the most amazing friends. Sto lat again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It wasn't the same without all my family around, but it was still a great day. Love you lots!

      Delete
  4. you deserved this wonderful birthday! hb again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for happy birthdays! Xoxo, jenny o'c

    ReplyDelete